Special Collections Assistant III | Req.#: 2021-13675 | Library | Part-Time
This one-year renewable position supports the work of researchers at the Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies by focusing on the organization, processing, and digitization of Persian materials. The scope of the work includes searching, identifying, and collating the Persian ephemeral materials collections and the Persian periodicals collection, preparing them for digital imaging, and making them more accessible.
The Special Collections Assistant works closely with an IT team to build a homepage for a public access “Modern Iran Digital Archive.” The position will also work closely with researchers and administrators at the Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies, the Near Eastern Studies librarian at Princeton University Library, as well as the library’s Preservation and Conservation department, digitization studio, and staff. The position occasionally also provides research support to the researchers at the Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies and provides specialized assistance as needed to other researchers interested in Persian periodicals and ephemeral materials.
This is a part-time, term position. Part time hours will be scheduled between normal business day of 8:45 – 5pm.
This position will address collections and digitization access with researcher and collection needs in mind, thus identification and organization of relevant items will involve conversations with specialists at the Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies, the Library, Preservation and Conservation Services, the Digital Studio, Cataloguing and Metadata Services, and Physical Collections and Inventory Management Services.
Additionally, processing of materials will require both on-site and remote work, which includes physical handling, the creation of additional identifying metadata for individual digitized items and collections, and collaboration with the aforementioned stakeholders.
- Fluent reading knowledge and comprehension of Persian.
- Experience working with digital and IT projects.
- Strong collaborative skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in English with researchers and university and library staff in written and oral form; to be organized and detail-oriented; to work effectively in a collaborative mode; to anticipate workflow changes and adjust priorities accordingly.
- Facility with internet searching, Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel and Word, basic library acquisitions and cataloguing modules, and discovery systems.
- Ability to provide specialized assistance for researchers
- BA degree in Middle Eastern and/or relevant fields.
- Familiarity with Persian/Princeton’s periodicals and ephemera collections
- Experience in library and/or related fields work
- Familiarity with digital project workflows
- Familiarity with XML technology for data description
- Reading Knowledge of French
Please click on the link below, or go to www.princeton.edu/hr, click on “job search” search for the requision # listed below.
The requisition number on Princeton’s HR site (careers-search opportunities) is 2021-13675.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
LIB-Amer Fed State County Mun Emps
Valid Driver’s License Required